Is GentleBirth the same as Hypnobirthing?
Sometimes I’m asked is GentleBirth is the same as hypnobirthing? I’m always delighted when I'm asked this question as it gives me an opportunity to share with parents exactly how unique the GentleBirth programme is and how leading edge our techniques are.
GentleBirth focuses on 3 core areas for the most positive birth possible.
- Brain Training for Birth and Beyond
- Physical Comfort Strategies for Birth
- Navigating and negotiating your birth options
We offer expectant Mums and Dads easy to learn ‘brain training’ tools for a positive birth including (CBT) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness techniques, medical hypnosis and sports psychology. GentleBirth is considered a mindset 'intervention' and will change the way you think about birth and parenting in a very short period of time. Hypnosis is a wonderful tool and can be very effective, but not everyone is equally hypnotisable – and some Mums just cannot use hypnosis effectively on the day. Hypnobirthing although effective for many relies on one tool to prepare you for one of the most challenging times in your life and your partners. I’ve found that having more than one tool in your toolkit is essential for the best birth possible no matter what kind of birth you’re having - and having a Plan B is always a sensible idea.
The more tools a couple has access to on the big day the more prepared and confident they feel and the more emotional resilient both parents are adjusting to life AFTER birth with a new baby. So many parents are now calling it 'GentleLife' as they continue daily worksouts of mindfulness and hypnosis throughout parenthood as part of the GentleBirth App.
You’ll develop and master these skills as you work through the GentleBirth programme. With a little help from brain science you’re physically changing the structure of your brain (DIY brain remodelling) and the results will change the way you react to the world forever – not just on the day your baby arrives. You’ll also have ongoing support from our online private Facebook group of over 3000 GentleBirth Mums from around the world. (Ongoing support is a critical part of the GentleBirth philosophy). Also local monthly GentleBirth coffee mornings will be of great support.
Physical Comfort Measures
You and your birth partner will learn physical comfort techniques and tips used around the world by midwives and doulas for the best birth possible. You’ll have a toolkit full of comfort strategies to keep you calm, confident and in control before, during and after your baby arrives including strategies to help your baby into optimal position and ways to reduce the side effects of an epidural should you need one.
Navigating the System
Navigating the maze of options during pregnancy can be daunting. A key section of our workshops is navigating and negotiating your options for the most positive birth. Many couples are unaware that routine interventions used frequently in maternity care are outdated and no longer considered to be of any benefit to healthy Mums and babies. In UK maternity services these routine interruptions to the birth process such as breaking the waters, admission CTG, restrictive time limits are listed on a national ‘Do Not Do’ list in maternity care. Understanding how your maternity services work helps you create and then confidently communicate meaningful birth preferences to staff so your clincial care is evidenced based – not policy based. We’ll help your partner feel very comfortable asking simple questions to find out if and deviations from your birth preferences are due to medical necessity or bed shortages.
***Hospitals offering hypnobirthing classes are unable to include this information as many of the maternity unit practices policies do not reflect best practice. Midwives are employed by the hospital so are quite limited in the information they can provide. As independent facilitators GentleBirth provides you with all of the information you need so you and your partner can make informed decisions about your care and your baby’s. (As independent facilitators from all over the world we provide ongoing, comprehensive support through our private FB page 24/7).
Ten Reasons to Choose GentleBirth Classes
1. Proven: GentleBirth is a proven, safe, effective program to reduce anxiety during pregnancy and pain during labour within a hospital (or home) setting. It is recommended by midwives and consultants. 98% of mums will use GentleBirth in their next pregnancy, 85% had no epidural.
2. Expertise: GentleBirth was founded by Tracy Donegan, Midwife, author of The Irish Better Birth Book and positive birth expert. Tracy is the Irish Daily Mail maternity expert, Eumom pregnancy and birth expert and is a regular contributor to Easy Parenting and the Irish Independent. Tracy has been training birth Doulas (professional birth partners) in Ireland and abroad since 2006. Over 2000 couples have attended a GentleBirth workshop with Tracy. Tracy has guest lectured in the Coombe Hospital, DkIT and CUMH in Cork on promoting normality in birth using brain training and personally trains and asseses all GentleBirth Instructors. Tracy also provides advice and information on the GentleBirth private Facebook group.
3. Medical Professionals: GPs, midwives, nurses and other medical professionals attend and recommend GentleBirth workshops for evidence based medical information and best international practice.
4. Science: The GentleBirth program is backed by science. GentleBirth takes a unique approach to positive birth preparation by using tried and tested techniques and exercises to challenge and change the way you think about birth, breastfeeding and beyond.
5. Comprehensive Materials: Everything you need for pregnancy, birth and beyond is included in our GentleBirth App
6. Choice: You choose the format that suits you - a hands on workshop with your partner or homestudy course with ongoing support.
7. Meetups: Come along to one of our regularly scheduled coffee mornings to meet our instructors and other GentleBirth Mums and babies.
8. Epidurals: Our goal is a positive birth – with or without medication. Most GentleBirth Mums cope well without pain relief but if you choose to have an epidural you and your partner will understand how to optimise the use of your epidural to reduce side effects for you and your baby.
9. Evidence Based Information: All of the information provided by our Instructors is based on international best practice so you and your partner can make informed decisions about your care.
10. Community: Join our private Facebook page to connect with other GentleBirth parents and our resident positive birth experts.